Friday 20 July 2007

A thrifty gift guaranteed to give a priceless reaction


Here is a perfect gift idea, not only for the person-who-has-everything receiver, but also for the budget-conscious giver. I made this for my husband as part of his birthday present this year, and it was hands-down his favourite gift (which was lucky, because he didn't get too much other fun stuff!)

It's basically a mini-scrapbook in the form of a "2 minute memory" card. You can find them at most craft shops, or else order directly from simple scrapbooks, and they have options for every relationship: husband, wife, Grandma, friend, etc. And you don't have to be a die-hard scrapbooker or even slightly crafty to put this together!

Each card comes with 10 prompt questions, such as "what do you treasure about your wedding day?", "if you could have one of your husband's traits, which one would it be?" "what object reminds you most of your husband?" etc or you can make up your own. It's fun to really think about some of your favourite memories together.

Then, choose 10 different pictures (if they illustrate your thoughts, all the better) and stick next to each piece of journalling on the adjoining page. You can embellish further with patterned paper, but I kept it simple with different coloured photo corners.

And voila - a small book that contains some fun memories and which will make your recipient feel so special. Priceless reactions....from a gift that costs less than £5.00 ($10) to make and a little bit of time to put together.






3 comments:

Lindsey said...

Wow, what a great idea. I love the whole idea of prompt questions too. I will definitely need to keep this in mind!

todd & nicole said...

Louise....I made one for Todd and he LOVED it. It was so much fun.

Breena said...

Being on the receiving end of one of these gifts, I can vouch for just how effective and special they are. I received one from my very thoughtful, wonderful maid of honor at my bridal shower. She contacted my friends from various phases of my life (and locations in the world) and had them contribute memories and pictures and then she spent hours and hours crafting it into this beautiful book. So special. Thanks Lou :)