Monday 6 August 2007

More Thrifty Cleaning Tips


Okay, I think I am giving away what is on my mind at the moment - lots of tidying up at my house! Ideal Home (UK) gave some great tips in this month's issue that I thought I would pass along, using things that you may already have to hand:


1) Sparkling Silverware - to clean off tarnish, line a pan with aluminium foil (shiny side up). Put in your silverware and sprinkle a tablespoon of bicarbonate of soda on top. Cover with boiling water and the tarnish will vanish.


2) Clean Upholstery - use a fabric softener sheet to pick up pet hair from upholstery. It's effortless and quick.


3) Pretty Candles - if your pillar candles are covered in dust, just pull an old pair of nylon tights over the candles and they'll be clean in seconds.


4) Spotless Iron - to clean the sole plate of your iron, turn the iron onto the highest setting, put a newspaper on top of the ironing board, sprinkle it with salt, iron the salt et voila! - an iron without any burnt-on spots.


5) Pristine Walls - have the kids been colouring on the walls again? Remove crayon marks by scrubbing gently with toothpaste, then wipe off and dry.
If you try any of these, leave a comment and let us know what worked!

1 comment:

todd & nicole said...

I love the cleaning candles idea. I got rid of all of mine because I hated the dust on them and they were such a pain to clean. Hmmmmm maybe I'll have to get some more.